Time and Detail

Today is world environment day. Everyone in our office decided to 'not motor today'. I live two miles from work so this was doable. First decision, walk or ride a bike. I have a bike but haven't ridden it in some time. Walking was the better option. It took 40 minutes and the weather was comfortable so no problems there. Second decision, what route to take. I chose the less hilly route. No one stopped to offer me a ride which is good because I would have accepted (to be gracious). I walked a route that I also drive on occasion. The slower pace allowed time to see the houses, yards, etc. The closer proximity allowed me to see details that are lost when cruising past from the street at 35 mph. When I drive, I move so quickly that all that is in between my home and work is compressed. The walk decompressed what is in between here and there. It was not possible to take things for granted because I had to step over them or duck beneath them. There is remarkable diversity in the mere two miles between here and there. In the two miles, I met only one human being; a man loading tools in his truck for the work day. We nodded in acknowledgement but did not speak. In this respect, I was as alone on the walk as I would be in the car. I know this is something I could do more often. But will I? Eight hours from now, I walk home.

0 comments: